Pruning Tips for Private Trees:
- Keep your pruning tools sharp and clean.
- Never prune out more than one quarter of the tree crown at a time; if your tree requires a lot of pruning, spread it out over several years.
- Remove all diseased limbs, dead and dying limbs and crossing branches.
- For more pruning information, visit Trees Are Good.
- Is your tree next a power line? Please contact EPCOR to arrange for pruning.
- For those who require assistance pruning large trees, the City recommends using a certified ISA Arborist.
Please note that the Community Standards Bylaw regulates the removal, pruning, transportation, storage and sale of elm trees in the city to ensure that the trees remain free of Dutch elm disease. Elm tree pruning is only permitted between October 1 and March 31. If there is an immediate concern or request for elm tree pruning outside the regulated season, please contact Pest Management to be considered for an exemption permit.