About the Bridge
The Wellington Bridge was originally constructed in 1932 and serves as an arterial roadway with four lanes of traffic (two lanes in each direction), and a sidewalk on each side of the bridge. It is a major link between Edmonton’s city centre and communities to the west. The bridge crosses Ramsey Ravine which features a shared pathway connecting the community of Glenora to the river valley. The bridge is also part of West Central Bike Routes’ 102 Avenue shared-use pathway (SUP).
As the bridge is listed in the Register of Historic Resources in Edmonton and Alberta Historic Resources Management Branch, the project team will consider incorporating 2 of its existing historic features, the concrete railings and concrete arches, into the bridge design to be reused on the new bridge, or reinterpreted in the new design.