Construction funding has been approved as part of the 2019 – 2022 Capital Budget. Detailed design for 105 Avenue, between 109 Street and 116 Street, is currently ongoing.
For more information on EPCOR utility construction and traffic accommodation, please contact EPCORprojects@epcor.com.
A streetscape pre-construction open house will be held before the start of the 2021 streetscape construction season.
Utility construction, work required before the construction of the streetscape, will take place from June 2020 into early 2022, including:
- EPCOR Drainage – a new storm sewer tunnel and some mains with service reconnections
- EPCOR Water – relocations and reconnections of existing lines and hydrant relocations
- EPCOR Power – burial of overhead lines underground and service reconnections
- ATCO Gas – main relocations and service reconnections
- Telus/Shaw and Bell– burial of overhead lines and relocations/reconnections of existing facilities
2021 – 109 Street to 112 Street streetscape construction is expected to begin
2022 – 113 Street to 116 Street streetscape construction will start
2023 - the plaza, between 112 Street and 113 Street, is scheduled for construction
2023 - the overall streetscape, from 109 Street to 116 Street, is anticipated to be completed
105 Avenue is emerging as a key corridor in the revitalization of the Downtown north edge.
In 2016, the City constructed the Phase 1 streetscape improvements from 116 Street to 119 Street, to help make 105 Avenue more accessible and pedestrian friendly. This construction is based on the 2013 preliminary design focused on 105 Avenue between 109 Street and 119 Street.
In 2017, the City refreshed the 2013 preliminary design with an emphasis on protected bike lanes. Stakeholder and public engagement occurred throughout this process. A recommended option with 2-way traffic, 1-way bike lanes and some loading zone/parking between 109 Street and 116 Street, was developed and taken to Council in 2019 in the Roll Plan.