Skip to main content
COVID-19 Gardening Requirements and Guidelines
Main page content begins here
As of July 1:
- The Alberta Government has removed most public health restrictions
- The City of Edmonton has deactivated the municipal face coverings bylaw
To reflect these changes, the Community Gardens COVID-19 Guidelines have been withdrawn.
For more information please visit:
Alberta Health Services
Government of Alberta
It is requested that community garden groups, including pop-up community gardens, store the signs until the end of the 2021 garden season.
Garden groups may wish to create and document membership and operational terms that meets their needs based on the composition of the group, configuration of the garden, etc.
Garden Plan may include:
- A schedule for members on when they can tend to their plot.
- Describe how the group will monitor the use of the community garden.
- Encourage members to wash and/sanitize their hands before entering and after leaving the garden site.
- Identify common touch points including water taps and hoses, locks, and gates and provide direction on sanitizing them before and after touching.
- Clarify how gardeners may share tools/equipment or shared storage spaces.
- Be clear that only service animals are permitted on site. Animals must be leashed, wear service vest/identification and not come in direct contact with edibles.
- Clarify garden committee and member roles and responsibilities.
- Approach to waste management, which may also address composting.
- Encourage community caring and food security by asking gardeners to grow a row for the Edmonton Food Bank or other local charity.