To purchase online, your email account must be registered before an online account can be created. If you provided an email address in your program application, please check your email, including junk/spam folders, to see if you received an email invite from firstname.lastname@example.org. If you did not receive an email invite, or did not initially provide an email on your application, or have changed your email address, please call 780-423-7433 to purchase your first pass over the phone. During this phone call, you can request to have an email invite sent to you, so you can purchase future passes online. This email invite will be sent to you within 2-3 business days after your request.
About the Ride Transit Program
The Ride Transit Program provides greater access to Edmonton Transit Service by reducing financial barriers for individuals and families in Edmonton. Through a partnership with the Government of Alberta, this program provides Adult and Youth monthly passes to eligible low income Edmontonians at a subsidized rate.
Ride Transit Program Pass
Ride Transit Program monthly passes are available for purchase online, by phone, or through auto-debit. Passes need to be mailed, and may take up to 10 business days via Canada Post.
Purchase your pass at ride.edmonton.ca 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We accept: credit card (Visa, Mastercard, American Express), VISA Debit, Debit Mastercard, or prepaid VISA/Mastercard.
- Note: To use the Ride Transit Program online store, your email account must be registered before an online account can be created. If you provided an email address in your program application, please check your email, including junk/spam folders, to see if you received an email invite from email@example.com If you did not receive an email invite, or did not initially provide an email on your application, or have changed your email address, please call 780-423-7433 to purchase your first pass over the phone. During this phone call, you can request to have an email invite sent to you, so you can purchase future passes online. This email invite will be sent to you within 2-3 business days after your request.
- Call 780-423-RIDE (7433) Monday-Friday between 8am-4:30pm.
We accept: VISA Debit, Debit Mastercard, VISA, Mastercard, American Express, or prepaid VISA/Mastercard.
- See section called “Sign Up for Auto-Debit for Future Monthly Passes”
Last Day and First Day to Purchase a Monthly Pass
||Last Day to Purchase the Applicable Monthly Pass
||June 4 online and by phone
||July 9 online and by phone
||August 6 online and by phone
||First Day to Purchase the Applicable Monthly Pass
||May 8 online
May 10 by phone
||June 5 online
June 7 by phone
||July 10 online
July 12 by phone
Sign Up for Auto-Debit for Future Monthly Passes
This automatically deducts the cost of your pass from your bank account a few weeks before the applicable month, and your pass is mailed to you. This is the easiest way to purchase your pass and save time. Once we have entered your banking information, a confirmation email will be sent to you.
Please review the Terms and Conditions, fill out this form and then either mail the completed form to the mailing address on the top of the form, or email your documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will need to include a VOID cheque or Pre-Authorized Debit form from your bank in your submission.
Temporary Expansion of Eligibility to Ride Transit Program
The City and regional transit partners have been working collaboratively with the participating U-Pass Students’ Associations since the start of the pandemic. Due to the majority of classes being offered online, all 11 parties agreed that Spring/Summer 2021 U-Passes will not be issued. The U-Pass Program is a regional program, not simply a City of Edmonton program.
In order to provide students with discounted transit fare options, ETS made recommendations to Edmonton City Council. Council approved the temporary expansion of eligibility to the Ride Transit Program for all post-secondary students from September 1, 2020 until August 31, 2021.
- This program has 2 tiers (a sliding scale) and is based on an individual’s personal income. Personal income can be proven through a Notice of Assessment (NOA), Employment Insurance (EI) document or CERB document
- Students will need to apply through the Leisure Access Program
- If a student is 18+, and earns less than $29,282, they may qualify for a $35/month pass
- If a student is 18+, and earns between $29,283 and $33,275, they may qualify for a $50/month pass
- International students are also eligible to apply for the Ride Transit Program
- If a student is under 18, there is a process to apply for the program which involves filling out a Release of Information and Responsibility Form. This release, accompanied by approved income documentation, will allow these students to apply for Ride Transit
Note: For context, a U-Pass costs approximately $45/month.
Note: Students who are considered a dependent (their parents/guardians claim them on their taxes as a dependent) would have to include their parents/guardians income on their application, so they may not qualify for the Ride Transit Program.
How to Apply
If you are not a member of the City’s Leisure Access Program, fill out the Leisure Access and Ride Transit Programs Application Form.
The fastest way to have your completed application reviewed is by dropping off your application at Edmonton Tower, 2nd floor, mail slot near the ETS Lost and Found:
Edmonton Tower, 2nd Floor
10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB, T5J 0J4
Alternatively, completed applications can be sent by mail:
Leisure Access & Ride Transit Program
PO Box 2359
Edmonton, AB, T5J 2R7
Faxed or e-mailed forms are not accepted. In-person submissions are suspended at this time.
The approval process currently takes approximately 2-3 weeks, depending on the time of year and number of applications received. You will receive a letter or email once approved, which will include further information on the programs.
How do I qualify for the Ride Transit Program?
If your income is less than LICO + 10%, or you qualify from one of the following eligibility criteria, you now qualify for a $35 monthly transit pass.
- You are on AISH (Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped) or you receive the CPP-Disability Benefit (Canada Pension Plan)
- You are on Government of Alberta Income Support or Learner Income Support
- You are a new Permanent Resident or a refugee (to qualify, you must have been in Canada less than one year and have not filed a tax return)
- You are a child under government care
- You are receiving any type of government Employment Insurance (EI or CERB) (only the individual receiving EI or CERB will be eligible)
- Your household income is included in the amounts* listed below:
If your income is between 10% and 25% above LICO, you now qualify for a $50 monthly transit pass. Please refer to the table below.
|People in Household**
for Ride Transit Program
($35 monthly pass)
|Household Income for Ride Transit Program
($50 monthly pass)
||$29,283 - $33,275
||$36,456 - $41,426
||$44,818 - $50,929
||$54,415 - $61,834
||$61,717 - $70,131
||$69,605 - $79,095
||$77,495 - $88,061
- *Income thresholds are subject to change based on Canada Revenue Agency low-income cut-offs.
- **Eligible household is yourself, your partner/spouse and dependent children aged 17 or younger (dependents over 17 need to submit a separate application form with their own income and address verification documents).
- To calculate total household income, add the total incomes from Line 15000 of you and your partner/spouse’s (if applicable) previous year’s Notice of Assessment. You are eligible if your total household income is equal to or less than the income shown above with the number of eligible household numbers.
Is the Ride Transit Program the same as the Leisure Access Program (LAP)?
The application/renewal process is the same and you will automatically be considered for both programs. Please note that even if you qualify for LAP, you are not eligible for a monthly pass under the Ride Transit Program if you are:
- A child 6 years old or younger
- A Canadian National Institute for the Blind (CNIB) card holder (free when you display your CNIB identification when boarding)
- 26% above the Low Income Cut-Off (LICO) or unable to provide income verification documentation
- A child under government care who receives a transit pass from Child and Family Services
How do I apply? What if I only want a transit pass?
Citizens who want to apply for the Leisure Access Program or ETS Ride Transit Pass Program can apply for both programs with one application.
It is completely optional for participants to use the recreation facilities and attractions offered by joining the programs. There is no charge for the Leisure Access membership. Ride Transit and Leisure Access are two separate programs that share the same application process. Together, they offer eligible Edmontonians a full range of benefits.
Please note that your Leisure Access membership card or government issued photo ID is required to purchase a monthly transit pass at the subsidized rate of $35 or $50 and your recreation membership card is the best ID to use.