Main page content begins here

Parking Enforcement Services manages parking violations for accessible, on-street, private property, school zones and private agency parking.

There are many rules surrounding parking in the City to ensure safety for everyone is maintained. This includes on-street, accessible, private agency, school zones, private property and seasonal parking. Learn what you can do about illegal, nuisance and abandoned parking or what you need to do if you’ve been ticketed or towed. 

Due to the wide range of patrolled areas, the parking enforcement program is contracted out. Currently, the Paladin Security Group holds the contract.

Ticketing and Towing

You can report parking complaints using the 311 mobile app or calling 311 directly.

Pay traffic tickets online, by mail, or in person.

Ticketed/Towed Inquires

Bylaw Ticket Administration

Weekdays: Monday-Friday
Office Hours: 8:30am-4:30pm
Phone: 780-496-5161

Impound Lot - Police Seized Vehicle Section

Phone: 780-496-8668
Address: 12230 124 Avenue NW

Unpaid Tickets

  • Payment must be made on the due date
  • A final notice is mailed if not paid, the vehicle owner is required to appear at the scheduled court date if payment is not received
  • Failing to appear may result in a conviction in absence
  • Additional penalties and denial of motor vehicle services may be put into effect until all fines and penalties are paid

Three Strike Rule

  • If you’ve received two tickets for the same violation in the same area, your vehicle will automatically be towed if there is a third violation
  • If you drive an out-of-province vehicle, warnings count towards your third strike

Appealing a Tag or Order

The appeal process varies depending on the circumstances of the case, so contact the Bylaw Services office by dialing 311 for information on the appeal process. You may also wait until you receive a violation ticket with court appearance instructions, which will tell you exactly what to do. 

Parking On-street

The best place for vehicles to park is in garages, driveways and parking lots. It ensures first responders have enough space to get through and road maintenance crews can keep our roads safe all year round. 

City-owned streets are a shared resource that everyone has access to but are not intended for long-term parking. A vehicle can park for up to 72 consecutive hours as long as it doesn’t have parking restrictions identified, such as a sign. A vehicle parked more than 72 consecutive hours on public property or a city street is considered abandoned.

Abandoned Vehicles

  • A vehicle is abandoned when parked on public property or a city street for longer than 72 consecutive hours
  • Applies to inoperable vehicles, vehicles with invalid licence plates and registered vehicles left unattended
  • Vehicles that are derelict, wrecked, dismantled are considered a nuisance not abandoned
  • City streets are not intended for long-term parking

Report A Vehicle

After You Report It

  • The vehicle owner will be given a 72-hour warning notice
  • Officers monitor the vehicle during this time
  • If the vehicle moves within the 72-hour notice, no further action is taken
  • If the vehicle has not moved the vehicle is ticketed and towed
  • Ticketing, towing and additional storage fees will be the responsibility of the vehicle owner

Accessible Parking Enforcement

People who have parking placards are unable to walk unassisted for more than 50 metres. These individuals need larger stalls to load and unload devices such as walkers and wheelchairs and unobstructed access to curb cuts.

Designated Accessible Parking Stall Violations

If your vehicle is parked illegally in a designated accessible parking stall, you will be issued a $250 ticket and may face towing and impound charges.

No part of the vehicle may occupy any part of the stall designated for drivers with a Service Alberta Parking Placard for People with Disabilities. The City of Edmonton has a "zero tolerance" policy for vehicles illegally parked in designated accessible parking stalls.

Parking on Private Property

Parking enforcement officers can only write tickets where signs are posted correctly and are consistent the City's standard for parking signs.

Nuisance Vehicle
  • Vehicles that are derelict, wrecked, dismantled are considered a nuisance not abandoned
  • Removal is the responsibility of the property owner
  • Nuisance complaints can be reported by calling 311
Private Parking Lot Signs

Parking lot signs must be:

  • Large and high enough to be visible and safe for drivers
  • Worded correctly
  • Clear of advertising
  • Designed with colour combinations that are visible and easy to read
  • Posted at all entrances to a property, and where necessary declare specific parking restrictions within the property boundaries

The City of Edmonton Parking Enforcement Services will NOT ticket and tow vehicles that are parked in areas where signs:

  • Provide the name of a specific towing company (i.e. "ACB Towing Company")
  • List the incorrect fine amount

Because fines do change periodically, it is best not to put any fine amount on your parking signs.

Private Parking Lot Sign Standards

Private Agency Parking Program

It’s a free volunteer program, authorizing agencies to issue City parking tickets to vehicles parked illegally on private property. The program consists of shopping centres, Property Management companies, hospitals and private condominiums. 

Staffing Requirements

A private parking agency requires a Parking Administrator and one Agency Parking Enforcement Officer per site. 

Parking Administrator: A Parking Administrator is a person from the agency who acts as a liaison to the City and ensures that officers properly fill out parking tickets. The Administrator cannot issue parking tickets.

Agency Parking Enforcement Officer: An Agency Parking Enforcement Officer writes parking tickets to vehicles parked in violation of the Traffic Bylaw 5590. The officer is only authorized to write tickets on the agency's property where there are parking signs. Agencies may have more than one enforcement officer. The agency is required to gain security clearances for their parking staff from the Edmonton Police Service. Call 780-423-4567 for information about security clearances. 

  • Available parking for those living and visiting on your property
  • Fast and efficient action to deal with vehicles that do not have permission to park on your property
  • Immediate warnings or parking tickets issued to vehicles parked in violation by appointed officers (instead of waiting up to four hours for a Bylaw Parking Enforcement Officer to arrive)
  • Assistance with the abuse of Disabled Parking and Emergency Access Route violations
  • Reduction in the amount of derelict vehicles
Application Process

Provide two volunteers and complete the Application Package. 

The volunteers can be trained and ready to go within three months.

Owners must provide proof of ownership as confirmed by a Land Titles Certificate. If you are not the owner of the land (as confirmed by a Land Titles certificate), please provide the following:

  • A letter from the owner authorizing you to act as their Agent and
  • A copy of the Property Management Agreement


  • Other documentation showing that you have permission from the owner to enforce parking restrictions on their behalf

Parking Enforcement Services has the right to request additional proof of ownership or documentation showing permission to enforce Parking Restriction on Private Property.

Administrators submit these documents:

  • Application
  • A signed Letter of Authorization from the Property Owner or any other documentation that provides proof of authority 

Enforcement Officers submit these documents:

  • Resume
  • Three reference letters
  • A current security clearance check from Edmonton City Police or RCMP

All applications must be mailed as originals. No photocopies will be accepted.

School Parking Enforcement

Schools can cause a lot of extra traffic in residential areas, which is why the City focuses extra attention on parking around grade schools and post-secondary institutions.

Illegal parking around grade schools causes congestion and visual obstructions that make it hard for other drivers to see pedestrians, especially children, crossing the street. Illegal parking around post-secondary institutions can be a safety hazard or an unreasonable disruption to the residents living in the area.

To help prevent problems around schools, the Edmonton Police Service and Parking Enforcement Officers work together to ensure students, parents and staff members of local schools know where to park safely and legally.

Grade School Parking

Parking or dropping off children in front of grade schools is not allowed at most schools in Edmonton.

This no parking/no stopping zone ensures that drivers passing the school can clearly see anyone crossing the street.

If you are dropping your children off for school, please park legally down the street and walk them to the door.

Post-secondary School Parking

Students attending post-secondary institutions are encouraged to walk, bike or take transit to their school.

If you do drive, you should park in your college or university's parking lot. If you choose to park on the street, be sure that you obey all signs as many neighbourhoods have parking restrictions that only allow people who live in the area to park there.

Parking in a no parking zone, bus zone or emergency lane is never okay and your vehicle will be ticketed and towed.

School Parking Enforcement

Parking Enforcement Officers work with the Edmonton Police Service on several programs to prevent illegal parking around schools: 

At the beginning of every school year, the City uses the media and advertising to remind drivers about the no parking and no stopping zones around schools. 

  • Uniformed Parking Enforcement Officers patrol school zones and issue tickets to vehicles found in violation of the Traffic Bylaw 5590
  • You may be ticketed without warning and may also receive a ticket in the mail at a later date
  • The City runs an enforcement and education campaign every September after Labour Day. Extra enforcement officers will be on the lookout for illegally parked cars and drivers who park illegally


Uniformed Parking Enforcement Program

Parking Enforcement Officers have the authority as per the Traffic Bylaw 5590 to conduct patrols and issue traffic tags related to parking infractions.

Beat Patrol

The Beat Officers patrol areas in the downtown and old Strathcona districts. These beats are designated patrol routes which the Officer enforces the Traffic Bylaw 5590.

City Patrol

The City Officers respond to specific parking complaints obtained by 311. Regular patrols are also conducted when not responding to dispatched calls.

Special Events

Officers respond to specific event assignments such as festivals, concerts, football games and hockey games. Parking restrictions will be in effect during major Commonwealth Stadium events as per the Commonwealth Stadium Major Events Schedule.

Complaint or Commendation

Call 311 and include all details that apply: time, date, tag number, issuer number, concern and summary of the situation.

For More Information

311 Contact Centre

On Street Parking Complaints
Officer Commendations/Concerns
Policy/Procedure Inquiries


In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311

TTY 780-944-5555

Officer Commendations or Concerns

2nd Floor, Edmonton Tower
10111 104 Avenue NW



Agency Parking Program Questions



End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content