Main page content begins here

The Community Standards Bylaw regulates noise in the community that results in the disturbance of peace of another individual.

The City of Edmonton’s Community Standards Peace Officers (CSPOs) enforce certain types of noise from:

  • Machinery
  • Commercial enterprises
  • Garbage trucks
  • Construction

To make a complaint on any of the above, please call 311.

CSPO focus continues to be on loud cars and trucks while the Edmonton Police Service (EPS) enforces excessive noise caused by people (such as loud parties) and noise from motor vehicles with a focus on motorcycle noise.

Vehicle Noise

Excessive vehicle noise has become an increasing problem within the City. Vehicles with loud stereos, modified exhaust systems, revving and careless use of a motor vehicle generates noise that is disturbing to others. The use of engine retarder brakes is another form of nuisance noise that is not allowed in Edmonton pursuant to the Community Standards Bylaw. Drivers and/or owners of motor vehicles can be ticketed for causing unnecessary noise.

Peace Officers will be enforcing excessive vehicle noise through vehicle patrol (traffic stops), static monitoring and joint force operations with the Edmonton Police Service. Peace Officers are looking for vehicles causing needless and excessive noise, vehicles that aren’t equipped with mufflers, vehicles with widened exhaust outlets and vehicles equipped with devices that increase noise.

Enforcement is largely undertaken by using the Traffic Safety Act: Use of Highway and Rules of the Road Regulation and the Traffic Safety Act: Vehicle Equipment Regulation. The specified fine amount for noise and equipment related violations is $162. 

Enforcement locations continue to be identified through vehicle noise complaint data and enforcement results obtained through proactive patrols.

Submit your vehicular noise complaint by email at

Project TENSOR

In 2021, City of Edmonton Peace Officers will once again partner with the Edmonton Police Service (EPS) on Project TENSOR (Traffic Enforcement Noise/Speed Offence Reduction). Project TENSOR will focus its resources on “hot spots” and other areas across the city targeting many traffic offences including speeding, noise-related offences, stunting.

Questions and Answers

What are the laws around excessive vehicle noise?

Vehicle noise can be addressed and enforced through the province’s Traffic Safety Act and its Regulations. In particular Section 82 of the 

Traffic Safety Act: Use of Highway and Rules of the Road Regulation

and Section 61 of the

Traffic Safety Act: Vehicle Equipment Regulation

What is the penalty?

The specified penalty amount for contravening the aforementioned Regulations is $162.


What is considered excessive?

Excessive noise thresholds will be determined by a number of factors including but not limited to: the impact the noise has on other people in the area, readings from noise monitoring equipment in applicable enforcement locations and officer provided evidence.

Can I call in a vehicle noise complaint?

At this time, enforcement efforts will be focused at predetermined locations based on existing complaint data however vehicle noise complaints can be emailed to

Where will this be enforced?

Enforcement is undertaken throughout the city with a focus on hotspots identified through complaint data.

Will this pilot include excessive motorcycle noise?

No. Excessive motorcycle noise is enforced by Edmonton Police Service and forms part of Project TENSOR.


Oversized vehicles must use established truck routes. For more information regarding Truck Routes or where to obtain a Truck Route Map, call 311.

Construction Activity

Noise from construction work is only permitted:

Monday 7am-9pm
Tuesday 7am-9pm
Wednesday 7am-9pm
Thursday 7am-9pm
Friday 7am-9pm
Saturday 7am-9pm
Sunday 9am-7pm

Holiday Hours:  9am-7pm

Reporting and Responding to Your Complaint

If you have a concern about noise from machinery, commercial enterprises, construction or garbage trucks:

  • Discuss the concern with the person making the noise if safe to do so
  • Record the address of the violation and a description of the problem if you can't resolve it directly with the worker or business owner
  • Call 311
  • Provide your name, address, phone number, and the details of your concern in case your testimony is required in court

After you call 311, the City takes these steps to help with your issue:

  1. A file is created specifying your concerns
  2. A Community Standards Peace Officer (CSPO) opens an investigation
  3. The officer investigates your complaint within 4 business days
  4. The CSPO may issue a warning notice with directions to remedy the problem within a specified time frame or issue a bylaw ticket with a $250 fine depending on the circumstances
  5. The officer may issue an order, which allows the City to fix the problem and bill the property owner for the cost
  6. The City may contact you to appear as a witness, if the matter goes to court

Protecting your Privacy

All personal information requested or required is collected under the authority of section 33(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (Alberta) (FOIP Act) for the purpose of responding to your complaint and enforcing municipal bylaws. This information will be collected, used and disclosed in accordance with the FOIP Act. In particular, personal information submitted through 311, the 311 app, or the online complaint form will be disclosed to appropriate business areas within the City so they may respond to your complaint. In addition, if the complaint leads to bylaw enforcement, your personal information may be required to be disclosed as part of the court proceeding. For more information on how the City protects your privacy visit Freedom of Information and Privacy.

For More Information

311 Contact Centre

Online Contact 311 Online

If you are calling from outside of Edmonton: 780-442-5311



TTY 780-944-5555

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content