Main page content begins here

Old tires that have been illegally dumped

When someone deliberately dumps waste on public or private property without consent, they are dumping illegally. This practice is most common in out-of-the-way places like parks, back roads, open lots, alleys and the river valley.

Did You Know?

Large items placed beside a large dumpster WILL NOT be picked up by City of Edmonton Waste Services or by third party Waste Collection Companies. 

This includes, but is not limited to:

  • Furniture
  • BBQs
  • Mattresses
  • Area Rugs

These items become the responsibility of the property owner to dispose of, including any costs that occur.

All waste, including natural materials like dirt and yard waste, must be disposed of properly. Dumping even natural materials in parks and green spaces is illegal and can harm the environment.

Large, bulky waste can be dropped off at an Eco Station or the Edmonton Waste Management Centre for a fee.

Reporting Your Concerns

If You Witness Someone Dumping Illegally

Write down as much information as you can including:

  • Licence plate number
  • Description of the vehicle
  • Description of the people
  • Description of the items being dumped
  • Time the incident happened
  • Location the incident happened

Call 311.

Provide your name, address, phone number and the details of your concern in case your testimony is required in court.

If You Didn't Witness the Incident

If you have a concern about illegal dumping but did not witness the incident:

  • Discuss the concern with the property owner
  • Record the address of the violation and a description of the problem if you can't resolve it directly with the property owner
  • Call 311
  • Provide your name, address, phone number, and the details of your concern in case your testimony is required in court

Responding To Your Complaint

After you call 311, the City takes these steps to help with your issue:

  1. A file is created specifying your concerns
  2. A Municipal Enforcement Officer (MEO) or Community Standards Peace Officer (CSPO) opens an investigation
  3. The officer investigates the complaint within 4 business days
  4. The officer may issue a warning notice with directions to remedy the problem within a specified time frame or issue a bylaw ticket with a fine ranging from $250 to $10,000 depending on the circumstances
  5. The officer may issue an order, which allows the City to fix the problem and bill the property owner for the cost
  6. The City may contact you to appear as a witness, if the matter goes to court

Protecting Your Privacy

The information you provide will be used to process your complaint, but your name and address will not be made available to anyone else. For more information on how the City protects your privacy visit Freedom of Information and Privacy.

Eco Stations accept household hazardous waste, electronics, recyclables, yard waste, bulky items and more. Find information about locations, hours, rates, and acceptable materials.

For More Information

311 Contact Centre

Online Contact 311 Online

If you are calling from outside of Edmonton: 780-442-5311



TTY 780-944-5555

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content