Main page content begins here

Community Standards Peace Officers (CSPO), Transit Peace Officers (TPO), Municipal Enforcement Officers, Park Rangers and Animal Care & Control Officers protect the health, safety and welfare of citizens by promoting compliance with our community standards, ETS and animal control bylaws.

Both CSPOs and TPOs hold Peace Officer appointments as authorized by the Alberta Justice and Solicitor General pursuant to the Alberta Peace Officer ActPeace Officer Regulation and the Peace Officer Act (Ministerial) Regulation

Professional Standards

Professionalism, accountability and transparency are critical elements in the success of the service we provide to our customers. Professional Standards is responsible for the administration of the complaints process concerning the conduct of Community Standards Peace Officers. Our compliments and concerns processes are administered in an open, fair, accountable and professional manner and are regulated by the Peace Officer Act, Peace Officer Regulation, Peace Officer Act (Ministerial) Regulation and the Peace Officer Program Policy.

There are 3 ways to share your feedback about Peace Officers.

Professional Standards
3rd Floor Century Place
9803 102 A Ave
Edmonton, AB 

Animal Care & Control Officers

Animal Control Peace Officers help owners ensure their pets are a positive addition to the community. This is done through education programs, mediating neighbour disputes, providing advice and enforcement.

Officers also patrol neighbourhoods for stray animals and return lost pets to their owners and respond to animals in distress or animals that have been abandoned.

Animal Control Peace Officers are sworn peace officers, giving them the ability to write tickets and lay charges that require a pet owner to appear in court.

They assist the Edmonton Police Service with aggressive or injured animals, Provincial Brand Inspectors with loose livestock and Provincial Conservation Officers with wildlife inside city limits.

Commercial Vehicle Unit

The Commercial Vehicle Unit is responsible for enforcement of the federal, provincial, and municipal regulations governing the commercial transport industry. The focus of the unit is to regulate heavy vehicle use within the City of Edmonton to mitigate community and safety impacts and support Edmonton's Goods Movement Strategy. The unit works in collaboration with the Edmonton Police Service and other enforcement partners such as Alberta Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Branch in order to support a broader regional approach to commercial vehicle safety and compliance.

Community Standards Peace Officers

The Community Standards Peace Officers respond to "on the spot" bylaw enforcement needs, such as after-hours construction noise and people driving with unsecured loads.

These Officers are out in neighbourhoods and on public roads. They can be a great resource for any bylaw questions or concerns. While they can enforce any bylaw, but they are focusing on five main things:

  • Vehicles driving with an unsecured or poorly-secured load
  • People dumping snow, dirt, garbage or anything else illegally on public and private property
  • People obstructing a public road
  • Illegal signs or other visual obstructions along roadways
  • Construction or industrial noise 

The Community Standards Peace Officers will also respond to any bylaw concerns that requires an immediate response. Complaints will normally be investigated within 24 hours.

Hours of Availability

Mid April - Mid October

Monday 7am-10pm
Tuesday 7am-10pm
Wednesday 7am-10pm
Thursday 7am-10pm
Friday 7am-10pm
Saturday 7am-10pm
Sunday 7am-10pm


Municipal Enforcement Officers

Where citizen activities or property conditions don't meet acceptable municipal standards, Municipal Enforcement Officers provide education, warnings, inspections, and apply penalties.

Municipal Enforcement Officers work with citizens in neighbourhoods and business communities to ensure that Edmonton's basic community standards are maintained to a reasonable level.

Municipal Enforcement Officers enforce bylaws to deal with common complaints such as:

  • Boulevard Concerns
  • Garbage Storage
  • Minimum Maintenance of Buildings
  • Nuisance Properties
  • Recreational Vehicle Parking
  • Sidewalk Snow Removal
  • Signs
  • Weeds

Questions frequently asked about bylaws and using park spaces. 

Park Rangers

Park rangers ensure that the river valley is a safe and enjoyable recreational space. Equally important is our aim to maintain healthy co-existence between the valley's plants and wildlife, and the four million people that visit every year.

The 10 full-time urban park rangers are knowledgeable in the areas of resource management, wildlife, forestry, outdoor recreation, and law enforcement.

Transit Peace Officers

Transit Peace Officers are highly trained and skilled professionals. They patrol in uniform on ETS vehicles and property which include buses, LRT and transit stations 24 hours/day, 7 days/week. They help create safe environments, provide customer assistance and promote fare compliance.

The Transit Peace Officer Bike Patrol is also active during suitable weather conditions from spring until fall. The Bike Patrol can access certain areas better than a vehicle, such as bike paths along LRT tracks or areas congested by traffic and/or special events.

Transit Peace Officers are authorized to enforce municipal bylaws and have powers and authority under several provincial acts.

Vehicle For Hire Unit

The Vehicle For Hire Unit (VFH) responds to on the spot enforcement needs and conduct proactive patrols, centred around violations in the Vehicle For Hire Bylaw (17400) and the Traffic Safety Act. The unit works in collaboration with the Commercial Vehicle Unit, Edmonton Police Service and other partners such as the Municipal Enforcement Officers. 

The VFH Unit works within all hours of the day, on any day in the week and is usually centred around late evenings and weekends. The VFH Unit can be found throughout Edmonton Neighbourhoods, however, they focus mostly on main arterial roadways and the entertainment districts. They can be a great resource for any bylaw questions or concerns and while they can enforce any bylaw, they mainly focus on: Vehicle For Hire Bylaw / Traffic Bylaw / Traffic Safety Act / Public Places Bylaw / Gaming and Liquor Act.  

The VFH Unit will also respond to bylaw concerns that require an immediate response and complaints will normally be investigated within 72 hours. 

For More Information

Community Standards and Neighbourhoods Branch


In Edmonton: 311

Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311

Fax 780-496-6054

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content