The Traffic Bylaw prohibits vehicles from tracking by leaving mud, dirt or debris on a roadway, whether it came loose, detached, dropped, spilled, or fell.  

Witnessing an Infraction

If possible, record information that would be helpful to the investigating officer:

  • A license plate number
  • A description of the vehicle including company name
  • The address or a description of where the vehicle left private property and entered City property

Reporting Your Concerns

If you have a concern about a vehicle that has tracked onto a City roadway:

  • Discuss the concern with the driver if it's safe to do so 
  • Record the address of the violation and a description of the problem if you can't resolve it directly with the driver
  • Call 311
  • Provide your name, address, phone number, and the details of your concern in case your testimony is required in court

Responding to Your Complaint

After you call 311, the City takes these steps to help with your issue:

  1. A file is created specifying your concerns 
  2. A Community Standards Peace Officer (CSPO) opens an investigation 
  3. The officer investigates your complaint
  4. The CSPO may issue a warning notice with directions to remedy the problem within a specified time frame or issue a bylaw ticket with a $250 fine depending on the circumstances
  5. The officer may issue an order, which allows the City to fix the problem and bill the property owner for the cost
  6. The City may contact you to appear as a witness, if the matter goes to court

Protecting your Privacy

The information you provide will be used to process your complaint, but your name and address will not be made available to anyone else. For more information on how the City protects your privacy visit Freedom of Information and Privacy.