Infrastructure such as sewers and structures in the drainage system deteriorate over time. The Drainage System Rehabilitation Program covers infrastructure not included in the
Drainage Neighbourhood Renewal Program.
This program renews drainage and sewage systems that are in poor condition. This helps to prevent infrastructure failures and minimize damage to public and private properties.
This program covers the following components:
- Trunk Sewer Rehabilitation
This work includes assessing pipe conditions and minor repair of combined, sanitary, and storm trunk sewers.
- City Wide Odour Control
This work includes construction and upgrading of drainage related odour control facilities throughout the City and addresses odour issues.
- Pump Station Rehabilitation
This work includes rehabilitation of pump stations to make sure they are in good condition.
- Drill Drop Manhole Rehabilitation
Drill Drop Manhole is a small diameter (600mm) corrugated steel pipe installed as drop manhole to a deep sewer tunnel. This work rehabilitates these drill drop manholes as they are prone to corrosion and deteriorate much quicker than standard concrete manholes.
- Storm Outfall Rehabilitation
This rehabilitation includes inspection and repair to counteract river action, ice flow damage, erosion, and bank instability of storm outfalls. Rehabilitation is done on a priority basis.
- High Priority Repair
This work provides emergency repairs to the sewer system.
- Local Sewer Rehabilitation
This rehabilitation provides systematic inspection and repair of deteriorated sewers (less than 600mm in diameter), manholes, catchbasins, and catchbasin leads.
- Roadway/Drainage Rehabilitation Coordination
This work provides coordination of sewer rehabilitation with the Arterial Road Reconstruction Program.
- Creek Erosion Protection
Permanent Area Contribution (PAC) is being collected from developers contributing flow to Whitemud, Blackmud, and Gold Bar Creek basins on creek erosion protection.
- reduces the amount of emergency repairs and short term maintenance required to the infrastructure
- reduces the possibility of sewer back-ups due to sewer or service connection blockages
- minimizes disruptions to the public through orderly execution of construction works